The humble beginnings of the Union County Public Library dates back to 1986 when a group of concerned citizens gathered donated books and distributed them to the public. In 1988 the voters passed a referendum for a 1/2 millage ad valorem tax for a special dependent taxing district for the purpose of creating a new library in Union County. Since then, the library referendum is placed on the ballot every 2 years for its continued funding. The library officially opened its doors on March 1, 1990. UCPL began operation in a 1400 sq ft building, expanded to 3300 sq ft in 1997, and now operates in a 9000 sq ft facility that was completed in 2009.
The library currently houses about 40,000 books and materials and offers access to thousands more e-book titles. There are 15 public access computers at UCPL, as well as free wifi. Additionally, the library hosts a wide array of programming, including weekly preschool storytime programs, summer events for children of all ages, and teen & adult programs.